Your city has strict ordinances regarding noise violations. If your neighbor can hear your music or noise from your house, more than likely you have violated the noise ordinance. If a complaint is received, you may receive a fine from the police.

Athens Clarke county noise ordinance:

Noise Ordinance (Section 3-5-24)

  • Noise includes mechanical sound-making devices, human-produced sounds, commercial advertising, and party noise.
  • Generally, noise is prohibited if it is audible 300 feet from property line on Sundays-Thursdays from 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. and on Fridays and Saturdays from 7:00 a.m. – midnight.
  • Noise is prohibited if it is audible 100 feet from the property line Sundays-Thursdays from 11:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m. and on Saturday and Sunday mornings from midnight – 7:00 a.m.
  • These restrictions apply to noise from commercial entities near single-family residential zoning districts when the noise goes beyond what is created during the normal course of their business.
  • Car stereos cannot be audible 100 feet away during any time.
  • Noise cannot be plainly audible at five feet (5’) beyond the adjoining property line wall or boundary of any apartment, condominium, duplex, or other residential dwelling units with adjoining points of contact.
  • Landscape maintenance devices (leaf blowers, lawn mowers, etc.) in or within 300 feet of any residential zoning district cannot be used from 8:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m. In the AR zone, no person shall operate any such devices within 300 feet of any residential dwelling on adjacent property between 9:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.
  • Construction noise cannot be plainly audible within any residential zoning district more than 100 feet beyond the property between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. A variance may be requested from the Director of the Building Inspections and Permits Department at least 48 hours in advance. Government and utility company construction and maintenance projects are not subject to the restrictions.
  • To report a problem, call the ACC Police Department at 706-613-3345 or 911 after business hours.
  • If possible, be available to speak with a responding officer via phone.

Compare listings